Old 19-03-2009, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia Ophelia is offline

Default Wild Ducks in the garden

pied piper wrote:
"rjbl" wrote in message
Anyone know anything about the sociology and natural history of
Mallard ducks?

We have an intriguing situation in our garden. The same family of
mallard take up residence in our garden every year (have done for
about the last five years). They consist of a pair and a younger
drake. They always arrive, from who knows where, in the third week
in March and always leave, for who knows where, in the third week of
June. In the meantime they waddle happily around the garden,
completely unafraid of us and roost under various hedges.
Occasionally they nibble at the wild bird seed we put down; on hot
days they dabble in our pond and on one occasion we had to check the
young drake into our local vet. (He had dislocated his hip in a
clumsy landing, it was ok after a week of anti-inflamatory
injections, physiotherapy and feeding and was returned to its
parents(?) fit and well - the vet did it all for free - because it was a
wild animal).
We have never seen any signs that these mallard are actually
breeding here - although a fair amount of ducky eroticism seems to
go on - not all of it straight.

Any body got any ideas where these mallard might get to between June
and the following March. Are mallard migratory?

rjbl

Have you considered breaking out the pancakes and plum sauce yummy

lol I must confess, it did occur to me