Old 19-03-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How shadowing affects crop growth

In article ,
Jonathan Campbell wrote:

My vegetable plot is to the north of my house and is shadowed much of
the day from direct sunlight --- house, garage; garden wall, neighbours
trees, ... But none of it is under trees or affected by roots.

I forget the exact figures now, but I found them when writing the
climate FAQ. A hell of a lot of the sunlight in the UK is indirect,
and so shadowing isn't as important a factor as it is elsewhere.
That's in relative terms - in absolute terms, it excludes a lot
of vegetables (like ripening squashes, chillis etc.)

Broad beans, carrots and (mostly) potatoes won't mind much; you
may get a slight smaller crop. Nor will most of the other plants
that do well in cool, dark summers.

My garden is comparable, for different reasons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.