Old 20-03-2009, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] rgoldste@gmail.com is offline

Default Strange plant problem

On Mar 19, 5:24*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
Do you have a cat or dog? They sometimes nibble on young plants.
Steve"richardg" wrote in message

I have been growing my own vegetable plants under fluorescent lights
and heating mats for many years. This year I have encountered a
problem I never had before. I hope this group can help. The seeds
germinate and grow a stem and leaves. They look vigorous. About a week
later the leaves are gone leaving only about a 1.5 inch stem *The stem
looks like it is cut off right below the leaves. The stem doesn't look
diseased. This *occurred on my pepper and lettuce seedlings.
Thanks, Richard

I have no pets. I think that some of the stems never got any leaves.
Could this be a germination problem with the seeds?
Richard