Old 20-03-2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default White Pine needs your help

In article pplyinc,
"D. Staples" wrote:

Walter wrote:
A glorious 70 foot tall White Pine has become sick over the winter with
all its needles turning brown. It is located on an island in Georgian
Bay, Ontario, Canada and is well removed from civilization, salt, etc..
No other trees on the island - or the area for that matter - display
this condition.

Is this the work of a pine beetle? If yes, what to do? If not, what has
caused this and is there hope?

Not enough information to tell, but, pine bark beetles leave sign on the
bark, and under the bark. Knowing a little of the history of the crown
might help. Did it turn red limb by limb, or all of a sudden? Any
lightning strike evidence on the tree? Wind throw? Anything?

When our White pines encounter beetles or what ever they die from the
top down slowly . Not much to do about it but plant a few others
seedlings that I scatter about. Two 70 foot pines planted across the
street in 1960 still have one about 70 foot tall and 25 foot babies
about . I'd hazard a guess that our black oak forest will be pine in
time.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA