Old 21-03-2009, 02:35 AM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Container gardening

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:01:15 -0400 in Richard Evans wrote:
wrote:

You'd probably be better off heading to Sam's club or Harris teeter
and begging some empty 5 gallon buckets off the bakery.
Drill several large holes in the side of the pot near the bottom.

Having six cats, I have a virtually endless supply of 40-pound litter
buckets. Never thought of it before, but each one would hold a tomato
plant.

Those work too :-).

Oh, and put your pipe down and wash your hands like you are
preparing for surgery before handling tomato plants.

I didn't recognize your email address, so my first reaction was "Who
the hell here knows I smoke a pipe?" Then I saw your signature.

Well, you *DID* post on tri.gen about donating pipes to the
military.

Odds are there is tobacco mosaic virus infected material in your
pipe tobacco and it has absolutely no problem infecting tomatoes.
(As well as several other things.).

I did not know that.

TMV is amusing stuff. Years and years ago a popular houseplant
had a variegated sport variety. It wasn't until it was in widespread
cultivation that someone noticed that it wasn't a variegated variety
but that it was infected with tobacco mosaic virus.
After that many years were spent eradicating the disease from those
commercial greenhouses.

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.