Old 20-03-2009, 11:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Is 'swimbladder disorder' catching ?

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:27:37 EDT, "Carole"
wrote:

OK I think I need to put some salt in but I've never done this before ...how
much ?

The poor fish is still there on it's side..I thought it was dead today
because it was on the surface...but it had gone an hour later so still
swimming I guess.

The pond capacity is 800 gallons (uk) 3600 litres.

How do I add the salt ? can I use domestic salt or do i need the salt I
have in my water softener. No problem either way as I have both.

If you've chosen to leave the fish in the pond, start out with 7 lbs. of
salt. Put it in a bag and let it dissolve. Dave mentioned the type of salt,
I use same, blue bag Morton's. Most plants are dormant at this time, so
salt shouldn't hurt any. If growing though that's a whole 'nother other.

If you have flukes, salt, even to 0.3%, may not do the trick. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us