Old 21-03-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best way to kill off Ivy?

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot
length of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm
looking for the most effect chemical warfare to apply for a permanent
solution. There is nothing growing nearby for many feet nor do we want
to grow anything there in the near future.
Stems are 2-3cm diameter so I could drill holes in and feed a chemical
in perhaps?
Any suggestions please?

I haven't an exact picture of your situation, but that doesn't matter.

Can you cut the main trunk(s) somewhere; as close to the ground as
possible. Apply undiluted glyphosate (Roundup) to the lower cut (I'm
finding it hard to get the correct terminology) using a paintbrush or
dab it on with a sponge or cloth. If you cannot get undiluted glyphosate
(try agricultural suppliers), then maybe someone can suggest an
alternative like a brushwood killer.

The best way to apply glyphosate is when the leaves are ON the plant, as it
is absorbed through the leaves. After spraying, leave for a few days and
then cut the whole plant down. Any new shoots will soon become blotched and
die, but if any escape just spray the new leaves with more glyphosate.

Unless ivy is different from trees and shrubs of my experience, that's
the last you will ever see of growth from that root.

If drilling is easier, then application via drilled holes should be
equally effective.

Glyphosate claims to damage only the plant -- by stopping its roots from
extracting nutrients from the earth.

No it doesn't. Glyphosate inhibits an enzyme, leading to depletion of key
amino acids that are necessary for protein synthesis and plant growth.

--
Jeff