Old 21-03-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Tilth trouble

On Mar 21, 9:22*am, aquachimp
wrote:
On Mar 20, 10:58*pm, Bigal wrote:

aquachimp;833712 Wrote:

On Mar 15, 6:03*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:-
The message

from aquachimp contains these
words:
-
On Mar 15, 1:38*pm, Chris ] wrote:-
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.
--
Chris-
Wha's a "clod"-

If tha doon't kna, 'appen tha is?

--
Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co period

Koud I have that e-ninglish plees

My father - God rest his soul - had an old border fork with the tines
bent at rightangles half way along their length.

Such tools exist. I don't know what they're called. I just tried doing
a search to find you a photo of one, but all I managed to find is what
looks like an adjustable bow saw (which I've been looking for, but on
the abbey tools site they call it a combination saw) (least, I hope it
turns out to be what I'm looking for)

I have the fork . Well, a smaller version of the normal one which is
great for fishing out stuff from ditches and I use it as you
describe.
I'll fish it out over the weekend and take a photo to show you. Unless
someone beats me to it and posts a link to such an tool.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9hoxnr&s=5
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2qd26w6&s=5

* To prepare a seed

bed he would walk along the line of it lightly 'hoing' the soil with
the fork to about 2 - 3 inches deep. * As he walked forward he trod on
the area he had just loosened.

Perfect. Works too for when preparing to lay a lawn too.

* He then raked this surface and ended
up with a beautiful tilth. * It worked on clay as well. * I have
wondered if a rake would do the same job, but I think that the fork
being heavier would penetrate the soil just a little bit deeper.

A stone rack does the same job. Your dad's fork just adds a dimension,
whilst loosing another in terms of lawn preparation

Bigal

--
Bigal