Old 21-03-2009, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Indoor gardening & lighting

"BuckK" wrote in message
Greetings,
I started a small vegatable garden two years ago. I had been buying
plants that someone else had started and are ready to be transplanted,
but it's pretty expensive. This year I'd like to start my plants from
seeds. The temperature here in the northeast is still below freezing
at night. The only space I have avaiable is my basement. Is there
any good online info about lighting?

If you have basement windows (most do) set up a shelf at each. Then add
flourescent grow light lamps (there are various brands). Most basements are
warm enough at the upper reaches where the windows are typically located...
some people use some small incandescent bulbs for extra warmth if needed.

But why bother... wait until the outdoor temperatures are more hospitable
(after the danger of frost has passed) and sow seeds directly in the
ground... transplanting small seedlings often sends them into shock and
they'll probably never fully recover, substantially reducing crops produced
if any.

I live in the north east, I've tried every early sowing method there is,
ultimately none other than professional greenhouses is more beneficial than
direct sowing in the ground. For the number of plants I want in my home
garden I buy as many of the mature nursery plants as I can, costs less than
buying packets of seed I'll never use up and all the potting stuff, and of
course time and labor.