Old 21-03-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to kill off Ivy?

The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot
length of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm
looking for the most effect chemical warfare to apply for a permanent
solution. There is nothing growing nearby for many feet nor do we want
to grow anything there in the near future.
Stems are 2-3cm diameter so I could drill holes in and feed a chemical
in perhaps?
Any suggestions please?

I haven't an exact picture of your situation, but that doesn't matter.

Can you cut the main trunk(s) somewhere; as close to the ground as
possible. Apply undiluted glyphosate (Roundup) to the lower cut (I'm
finding it hard to get the correct terminology) using a paintbrush or
dab it on with a sponge or cloth. If you cannot get undiluted glyphosate
(try agricultural suppliers), then maybe someone can suggest an
alternative like a brushwood killer.

The best way to apply glyphosate is when the leaves are ON the plant, as it
is absorbed through the leaves. After spraying, leave for a few days and
then cut the whole plant down. Any new shoots will soon become
blotched and
die, but if any escape just spray the new leaves with more glyphosate.

In order to get ivy to take-up glyphosate (or anything else!) you'll
need to thoroughly bruise the leaves, and then spray with glyphosate and
a lot of detergent - washing-up liquid is OK, but avoid the really cheap
ones - they are 'supplemented' with a thickening agent, and are not very
good for anything at all. (especially washing-up!)

--
Rusty