Old 21-03-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default Best way to kill off Ivy?

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Jonathan Campbell contains these words:
Bob Minchin wrote:

I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot
length of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm

[...]

I really can't see what glyphosate would achieve - it's only absorbed by
foliage and the green parts of plants AFAIK.

I've used it on boisterous shrubs in the manner I've described (lop the
shrub and paint neat glyphosate on the cut) and the result was death of
the complete plant.

I'm persisting with the advice with some confidence not just because it
has worked for me but because the method was given to me by someone who
had also used it with success. I will admit though that I have not used
it on ivy.

Sodium chlorate solution would do the job, but trickled-in round the
roots. (Not too much, in case it leaches out to anywhere else fairly
close (like the other side of a fence/wall)

It is available though now has a fire-inhibitor with it. (Boo! Hiss!)

Ah yes. Banned in the island of Ireland since the late 1960s. Given our
abuse of it as seven or eight year olds (when, on the farm, we had what
seemed like hundredweight drums of it --- for killing seed potato
plants) I'm probably lucky to be alive and to still have ten digits and
two eyes.

Best regards,

Jon C.