Old 12-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Timothy

Default Does overseeding work?

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:01:43 +0000, wrote:

Thanks...I will digest all of this nitrogen information.

I've looked everywhere on the net I could find that has photos of lawn
diseases. None of the pictures look like what I have. Mine isn't patchy
or blotchy, and the green blades themselves never look like anything is
"attacking" them...they seem healthy and green.

I've already done the Scotts pre-emergent (Halts with Turf Builder).

I used two 40 pound bags, which are supposed to cover 15,000 sq ft each.
I ran out with only the small back corner undone. I used a Scotts Brand
spreader set to their recommended settings.

So, I can't be sure that this MEANS my lawn is a little over 30,000 sq
ft....I will figure out a way to measure and calibrate as you mentioned.

If you take a look at your property deed you will see the dimensions of
your property. Take the dimensions of the property and subtract out the
square footage of the house. Then try to add in the square footage of your
driveway flower beds..ect. That will give you a ball park square footage.
This may or maynot be usefull to you but there are 43,560 square feet per
acre.
After looking at your pictures, my opinion is that your grass is not
suffering from nutritional deficiencies or disease. It looks alot like
improper mowing hight for the varity of grass you have or the pre-emergent
may of affected the annual native grass that is mixed into your lawn. The
latter is a bit of a stretch but possible. I would attempt to validate the
grass type you have and re-set the mower deck to the correct hight for
that varity. Then I would change the mower blades or at least sharpen
them. I have also seen this type of problem when people let their grass
get too high and they try to mow it to the right hight all at once. The
grass developed a longer, thicker stock when the grass was high and after
it was mowed that's all that was left of the grass plant. Hence the brown
stocks. Good luck, hope that helps.......
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com