Old 22-03-2009, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack Victor Sack is offline

Default Celery - Favorite recipes?

Dan wrote:

I need good ideas for
recipes including celery.

Here is a nice recipe I translated from a book I have here.

Celery baked with bone marrow
Serves 4

2 thick bunches of celery
50 g (1.8 ounces) butter
800 g (1.8 pounds) marrow bones
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons freshly grated cheese
1/2 cup Madeira wine
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt

Wash the celery and cut of and discard the roots. Divide the bunches
into stalks and cut off and discard the green part (or use it for soup).
Cut each stalk in half lengthwise, removing any stringy parts.

Butter a gratin dish and place the celery stalks in it, parallel to each
other, packing them fairly tightly. Salt and pepper.

Put the marrow bones into a pot, cover with boiling water and let stand
a few minutes. Remove the marrow from the bones (this will be easy
now). Cut the marrow in pieces and layer them on top of the celery
stalks.

Using a whisk, mix the flour with Madeira wine well, so that there are
no clots. Pour over the celery. Cut the rest of the butter into bits
and dot the top with butter. Sprinkle with the cheese.

Bake in a hot oven for 40 minutes.

Victor