Old 23-03-2009, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Colony Collapse Disorder

In article wildbilly-2E5192.20032821032009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-7CDA27.10210721032009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au,
says...

Latest Scientific American, April '09, article (Saving the Honey Bee,
pg. 40) claims the a virus, Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus (IAPV), and
some mitigating factors like poor nutrition, and exposure to pesticides
are responsible for CCD.

The mitigating factors sound like primary causes to me.

Are they claiming it for a fact, probability or possibility?

Nutrition, by itself, as well as pesticids by themselves, were ruled out
as a cause of CCD. Samples of bees were tossed into a VERY high tech
blender and the resulting DNA was sequenced to see what was inside the
bees, besides the bees. They found 8 bacteria that had been identified
in previous studies, 2 nosema species (?), 2 fungi, and several bee
viruses.

Nosema Apis and Nosema Ceranae... related to fungi.

Wikipedia has an article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosema_apis

While I'm sure you're aware of the following site, just for the record
The UK Beekeepers have a good diseases page.

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/articles/bee_diseases.php

One virus stood out because it had never been identifies in the U.S.
before; IAPV. IAPV was first identified in 2004 at the Hebrew University
of Jerusalem. IAPV was identified by the article as having been present
in almost all, but not all, cases of CCD that they studied. It was
present in one colony of bees not exhibiting CCD symptoms. The strong
correlation isn't proof that CCD is caused by IAPV. There is a
possibility that CCD weakened the bees and made them vulnerable t
a IAPV infection.

For more, read the article, or see http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/ .

Thanks for posting the link. I'm familiar with the site, just a few
months out of date. Been busy with a neighbourhood vs parking lot
expansion.

I'll read the article at the library tomorrow.