Old 23-03-2009, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default amaryllis buds not maturing

Jim Shaffer wrote in
:

I'm puzzled by what you say about them blooming without
dormancy. Years ago when I hadn't heard they were supposed to
have dormancy, I tried re-blooming one without doing anything
other than moving it indoors before frost and it never bloomed.
My girlfriend currently has one that she's been forcing into
dormancy by withholding water in the fall, but *not* chilling as
I do, and it's never rebloomed either. (I only chill mine in an
unfinished basement, it rarely gets below 45 and often is
warmer.)

i kick mine outside in the late spring (when it stays above 50F at
night). they get a couple weeks hardening from shade cloth to full
sun, & they stay in full sun until September or so (they come in when
frost threatens). then they go under florescent lights or on the
shelves in front of the windows. almost all of them will bloom
between December & April. one hasn't bloomed in 3 years, but it keeps
making offsets. it's treated just like the rest, so i'm not sure why
it does that.
i do feed them (seaweed & fish emulsion) when i have them out for
the summer. i don't try to force dormancy at all.
lee