Old 24-03-2009, 01:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Defeat for the bats, birds and possums.

wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:36 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
I have been pulling apples, pears and quinces this week. The pears
are still hard, hopefully the timing is right and they will ripen
off the tree this time.

The Granny Smith apples are beautiful; crisp, sweet and slightly
tart. We had some visitors and I pulled one off the tree and
offered it around. They said "aren't you going to wash it?" I said
"why?"

The quinces are marvellous, truly the prince of cooked fruits, pink
and luscious. The medlars are a few weeks away yet. Such rewards
make all the fuss with nets and such worthwhile.

David

David, where did you get your quince tree from? I'd love to grow
one, but haven't seen any available in N'cle.

Anselines at Raymond Terrace, Gloucester Garden Centre has them too.

David

I've held off planting a quince because of the fruit fly problem. How
do you manage to keep your quinces (and apples!) free of fruit fly?

Tish

There are not many in the area and usually they only attack the soft fruits
like peaches and nectarines.

David