Old 24-03-2009, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default greenhouse or polytunnel

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
My greenhouse needs replacing, the big ones are expensive so I am
considering a polytunnel instead. I have plenty of room so finding
somewhere to put it will not be a problem.

I would welcome any comments that will help me make up my mind greenhouse
or polytunnel ?

kate

Polytunnels:
£/sq.m is a lot less.
Light transmission gets less each year as the plastic goes milky in colour.
Harder to ventilate, a door at each end vital. Hot air rises and unlikely to
have high level ventilation.
Doesn't need a brick base.
Quick to erect.

Greenhouse:
£/sq.m is a lot more.
Good light transmission.
Easy to replace a damaged pane.
Needs some sort of base.
Better heat retention (greenhouse effect and all that).
Not quick to erect.

Glad it's not me deciding!

mark