Old 24-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default Dandelions

How big is the area you're trying to rid of dandelions? If it isn't too huge, I
suggest 4 weeks of intense going outside and pulling them up with a little hand
tool that helps you loosen up the dirt around the root. Throw a party for the
neighborhood kids in which they weed for an hour followed by refreshments and
entertainment that you provide. Ten kids working for an hour each is 10 hours
of work. They can make a big dent in them. (Or skip the party and just pay
them.) The work goes easier when the ground is wet after a heavy rain. If you
get behind on pulling them up by the root, make sure you get the flowers before
they go to seed. It took me a few years, but I eventually was able to get rid
of the worst of my dandelions. (My problem doesn't sound as bad as yours. I
don't live next to a field of them.)

--Lia

Shadow wrote:

Soon spring will be here, as will my yellow sea of dandelions. To be honest,
I really haven't tried very hard to get rid of them. I live next to a field
that is full of wildflowers (which I quite enjoy), and I had always assumed
that any attempt I made to rid my lawn of weeds would be nullified by seeds
from the field next door ending up on my lawn.However, in an attempt to be
neighbourly, I thought I'd try this year to at least get a start on
controlling the dandelions. I really do not want to use chemical
fertilizers, so I am looking for an organic solution. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Shadow