Old 24-03-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Verminator help wanted

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..
Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

..............................Leslie

As you said you are unable to permanently fence the area you might consider
an electric fence perhaps. Mains or battery operated, you can get both.
They do cost a fair sum for the unit though and then the extras for the
actual fence. I would not consider electric netting (as sold for poultry
and sheep) to keep out badgers; their sight is poor, they bumble around and
are likely to get caught up in it when they get their first shock. The last
think you need is a angry badger that's been thrashing around in netting for
ages, it will take your hand off if you try to rescue it.
I'd go for the push in metal posts with insulators that you can adjust for
height, with the first one at about 8-10 inches (to allow for hedgehogs to
get underneath) A low electric wire to climb over is a big killer of
hedgehogs as they curl up over the wire at the first shock and cannot get
out of the situation.
That height of wire should give the badgers a nasty sting on the nose
without harming them. I'd probably have another wire 6 inches or so above
that to be certain they get the picture.
I can't think of any other way to keep badgers out of an area that is
totally unfenced.
You might decide it's too expensive though, but it would be a shame to give
up your veggies and flowers as you say.

If you can go to a shop "for farmers" you'll get great advice about electric
fences and all the gizmos you can get for them.

HTH

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 23/3/09 22:23, in article ,
"Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..
The size of holes that the pest is leaving

These are up to 4" deep and can spread from 2" to 5" deep with the
soil
dragged to one side the hole is definately dug from the top

Badger would be my guess.

Very possible. We saw just this on a 'woodland' type path in the garden
today and we reckon it's from a badger.

Earthworms are their favourite food, after all..