Old 25-03-2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
boulanger boulanger is offline

Default Celery - Favorite recipes?

"Victor Sack" wrote in message
.. .
boulanger wrote:

Do you ever use celery root or celeriac?

Very often. It is a common ingredient here, available most everywhere.
It is good in soups and stews, especially if not terribly overcooked.
You can purée the celery root and use it "as is" or mix it with mashed
potatoes. Then, there is that typical bistro dish, céleri rémoulade.
Here is a recipe from _Bistro Cooking_ by Patricia Wells.

It is also from _Bistro Cooking_ by Patricia Wells.

Victor

Céleri Rémoulade
Celery Root in Mustard Sauce

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons imported Dijon mustard or to taste
1 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 celery root (about 1 pound; 500 g)

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, mustard, crème
fraîche, and salt and pepper to taste; mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust
the seasoning.

2. Quarter the celery root and peel it. Grate coarsely, in a food
processor or on a Mouli grater. Immediately add it to the mustard sauce
and toss to coat. Season to taste. Serve as a first course.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Thanks! I have that book but hadn't noticed that recipe. There's a soup in
there that's very good that contains spelt grains.
I pot-roasted a pork loin with cubed celeriac a couple of weeks ago - it's a
fave recipe. I saw Jamie Oliver on the TV do a smashed potato/celeriac mix
that looked interesting.