Old 24-03-2009, 10:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Tomatoes

Have you tried makign fake ones out of an old 2 Litre milk container? Cut
them to shape of a CW in flight and put some black spots on them and then
put them on satay skewers near brassicas. I'm quite convinced that they
work to keep off the real CW flutterbys.

you'll never believe it but i haven't got round to that yet. :-/

also, the idea behind the cages was to keep out birds & mammals too. i have,
however, taken your "quite convinced" statement on board!!

other than that we are having/have had
big problems with furry creatures & now the ****ing rabbits are back,

No nearby Jack Russell to lend a hand? We've noticed the numbers of buns
had started building up here too but the 2 JRs are going off and spending
half an hour out of sight doing something. I suspect it might be a bit of
rabbit destruction as we se the odd bits of fur around and less signs of
live buns.

my dog has killed rabbits in the past, but frankly he's getting more & more
dim in his middle age & prefers lolling in the sun, dammit.

I guess I also couldn't be described as a fnatic about the stakign and
tieing up, but I don't mind the other care of them. Himself liked to do
the bondage thing to the toms.

after there are some veggie cages happening & all the other stuff i'm meant
to be doing, it might be worthwhile to make some mobile growing-up frames
for things like this, as i'm just not getting good pea crops along the
ground & i DO love peas! snow peas grow very well at my place, but the dwarf
ones along the ground just aren't cutting it imo.

in this same way, the very idea of growing fruit trees bores me to sobs.
if they go well on their own, that's great. otherwise, i just don't give
a shit, it's too much trouble. i thought i was interested in fruit like
i'm interested in veg, but apparently i was wrong.

Hmm. Interesting. In what way don't you like it? I get the same sort of
thrill from watching my trees as I do the veg. I like to see them respond
after pruning and when given food and water etc.

well, i don't really know, but there it is!! i'm just not that into them.
also, i'm not big on most kinds of fruit - i think that is the underlying
problem for me - i just don't care that much :-)) i really like berries
though, so can imagine taking the trouble. (also, significantly, berry
plants are _smaller_ than trees.) if i lived in the tropics i'd definitely
have bananas, cos i love those (and again, they're smaller).

Didn't notice any swearing. I just noticed technical descriptions
commonly used by gardeners.

ahem, that's right :-)

speaking of snakes, we had to kill a brown snake the other day - it had set
up shop just outside the yard, & i could foresee a snakebite waiting to
happen - it kept coming in for water presumably. it's really a shame as i
have no problem with snakes, but under the circumstances it was clear one of
us would end up in hospital at some stage if we didn't get rid of it. and it
seemed wildly absurd to get one of the wildlife people to try to relocate
it.
kylie