Old 25-03-2009, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
robert robert is offline

Default Verminator help wanted

In message , Therefore
writes
Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

Some extracts from a post of mine from last year may be of help.

Badgers are creatures of habit and if they are visiting regularly they
are likely to enter and leave the garden in the same places every night,
leaving traces of their presence as they do so - clearly defined holes
in a hedge, dirty paw prints on the face or top of a wall and, after a
while and particularly noticeable when lack of rain has slowed the
growth of the grass, quite distinct paths where they have repeatedly
crossed the lawn.

In the event that it is badgers causing the problem, the bad news is
that they are not easy to discourage. A number of badgers visit our
garden every night and we accept that occasionally they will decide to
dig a few holes in a lawn. As the holes are invariable in a fairly
close grouping we lay a piece of green one inch fencing mesh
horizontally on the area for a few nights which has always solved the
problem - strangely they do not tend to dig in another area. To exclude
badgers from a garden completely is a bit difficult unless you have a
badger proof perimeter. Low level electric fencing is very effective
where the cost is justified.

The Badger Trust produce some useful information on this subject:
http://www.badger.org.uk/content/Living.asp

--
Robert