Old 25-03-2009, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Base for garden shed?

"The moderator" wrote in message
. ..

"mark" wrote in message
et...

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few
runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed

I would use 6 concrete blocks, the sort used for building 100mm walls.
About £1 each.
Place these flat side, 3 along each side of the propsed shed position
with the end ones in a little from the corner so you don't see too much
of them. Cut them half into the ground, and all level to each other.
Then place 3, 3inch square posts across the blocks as bearers.
You might like to put a piece of roof felt between block and bearer.
Erect shed.

mark

I agree with the cinder blocks. That whole crushed gravel design is bad
idea.

Not a bad idea, just a bit more labor, but costs less than other materials
and lasts far longer, and a crushed stone base won't move or rot. The
crushed stone base is built up a few inches above grade for drainage and
compacted by machine, then the shed is set directly on the stone base which
acts as a shed floor, or for fancy schmancy paver blocks can be set on the
compacted crushed stone with the shed atop that... if a paver block patio
were built it would require a 6" crushed stone base, then 2" of sand, then
more sand brushed between the pavers. Crushed stone costs a lot less than
cement blocks, heavy lumber stringers, and heavy exterior ply flooring.

But I wouldn't go crazy over a base for a 5' X 3' shed, it's pretty small, I
don't really think such a small structure qualifys as a shed, it's more a
tool cabinet/closet.... screw a piece of 3/4" ext. plywood to the bottom and
set it atop a 6" X 6" X 10' treated post cut in half and set directly on the
ground... to keep the posts from moving drill a couple of half inch holes
through each and drive in a 2' length of 1/2" rebar into the ground...
refrain from closing off the space underneath, air circulation is important.
This is a simple three hour job, should cost like $40 including the rust
pruf screws. The treated posts should last 15-20 years, perhaps a lot
longer, and can easily be replaced. Just do not neglect to anchor it down
real well, do not scrimp on the anchoring hardware.

My garden shed is the size of an oversized one car garage, in fact it is a
garage, it sets on a compacted crushed stone base.... my huge barn the
same.... most barns are on a compacted crushed stone base. Won't heave when
the ground freezes either.