Old 25-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default White House to Plant Organic Vegetable Garden

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

"FarmI" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
Charlie wrote:

In an interview in her office, Mrs. Obama said, "My hope is that
through children, they will begin to educate their families and that
will, in turn, begin to educate our communities."

I don't know about you, but I found that to be kind of creepy. I mean,
sure, organic gardens are the way to go, but the whole "child propaganda"
concept is a bit frightening, even if it is well intentioned.

Obviously it's been a long time since you saw the early episodes of Sesame
Street.

Didn't watch the show as a child; I rode my bike around (unsupervised and
without a helmet!),

That could explain a few things ;O)
played in the dirt (digging holes was a favorite
activity) hung out at the library listening to records or reading books,
skateboarded, went to the beach, played army with realistic looking toy
guns,

Yeah and my wife used to take the buses and trolly cars all over San
Francisco when she was 7 years old. A practice no longer condoned for
children. Times have changed, if you hadn't noticed.
you know, normal things kids are supposed to do when they are allowed
to be KIDS and

Here is where you make the big jump.
not treated as commodities to be molded and controlled by the
party in power.

If you be talkin' Kelloggs, General Mills, or Altria Group (formerly
Philip Morris Companies Inc.), hustling crap food to kids by making then
brand conscious by means of cartoons, I'd agree. Foods like

G-L
€ G.I. Joe Action Stars - Ralston (1985)
€ Ghostbusters Cereal - Ralston (1988)
€ Ghosterbusters II Cereal - Ralston (1989)
€ Go Lean Cereal (Crunch) - Kashi
€ Golden Crisp (formerly known as Sugar Crisp) - Post Cereals
(1949-Present)
€ Golden Grahams - General Mills
€ Golden Nuggets - United Kingdom - Nestlι
€ Golden Puffs - Malt-O-Meal
€ Good Friends Cereal (fiber cereal)
€ Gorilla Munch - Nature's Path
€ Granola - Kellogg's (1900s)
€ Granula - First manufactured Breakfast Cereal invented by James
Caleb Jackson in 1863.
€ Grape Nut Flakes - Post
€ Grape-Nuts - Post Cereals
€ Gremlins cereal - Ralston (1984)
€ Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs - Ralston (discontinued)
€ Golden Grahams - General Mills (1970s-Present)
€ Guardian Cinnamon with a hint of vanilla flavour - Canada -
Kellogg's
€ Guardian Original with a hint of maple flavour - Canada - Kellogg's
€ Halfsies - Quaker Oats (1980s)
€ Hidden Treasures - General Mills (1993-1994)
€ High School Musical Cereal - Kellogg's/Disney (2008)
€ Homer's Cinnamon Donut Cereal - Kellogg's (c.2001)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats (1989) - Present
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Bananas (2004-2005)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Peaches (2005-Present)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Strawberries (2002-Present)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Chocolate Clusters (2008-Present)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Cinnamon Clusters (2006-Present)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Vanilla Clusters (2007-Present)
€ Honey Bunny
€ Honey Buzzers - Malt-O-Meal
€ Honeycomb - Post Cereals (1965-Present)
€ Honey Cups
€ Honey-ful Wheat - Mom's Best Naturals
€ Honey Graham Life - Quaker Oats (2004)-
€ Honey Graham Oh's - Quaker Oats
€ Honey Graham Squares - Malt-O-Meal
€ Honey Nut Cheerios - General Mills
€ Honey Nut Clusters - General Mills
€ Honey Nut Corn Flakes - Kellogg's - (1981-Present)
€ Honey Nut Shredded Wheat - Post
€ Honey Nut Toasty O's - Mom's Best Naturals
€ Honey & Oat Blenders - Malt-O-Meal
€ Honey Rice Krispies - Kellogg's - (1996-Present)
€ Hot Wheels - Ralston - (1990)
€ Hulk Cereal - Post (2003)
€ Hunny B's - Kellogg's/Disney (2002-2006)
€ Ice Cream Cones - (1987) (Limited edition availability in 2003)
€ Jurassic Park Crunch - General Mills (1997) [3]
€ Jets - General Mills (c. late-1950s to early-1970s)
€ Just Right - Kellogg's (1990-2007)
€ Kaboom! - General Mills (1969-Present: Limited Distribution)
€ Keebler Cookie Crunch Cereal - Kellogg's (2008)
€ King Vitaman - Quaker Oats (1970-Present)
€ Kix - General Mills (1937-Present)
€ Koko Krunch - Nestlι - (Asia)
€ Krispy Kritters 1960s - 1980s General Foods
€ Krumbles-Kellogg's (1913-1973 [approx])
€ Krunchios (1989 [approx])
€ Krusty-O's A fictional breakfast cereal, one of the many fictional
products featured in The Simpsons. This cereal was produced in limited
quantities and sold at 7-Eleven convenience stores as a promotional item
for The Simpsons Movie.
€ Kung Fu Panda Crunchers cereal - Kellogg's/DreamWorks (2008)
€ Life - Quaker (1960s-Present)
€ Low Fat Granola Cereal - Sunbelt
€ Lucky Charms - General Mills

to mention a few. Empty calories of starch and sugar until milk and
fruit are added. This is well documented brain washing and social
engineering of the worst sort. The junk food industry (see above and
others) spend at least $10 Billion/year on advertising
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn.../12/06/AR20051
20600671.html) to "mold and control" young minds, that believe what a
cartoon tiger tells them.

Most kids don't read or watch the news, so the kids who will be most
affected, will be the inner city D.C. kids who participated and their
immediate friends that they share their excitement with (if any). In the
"Heartland", the event will perhaps be a sixty second "current events"
item in school, and quickly forgotten.

I am no fan of Obama. He is just another politician in my book. He
wouldn't have gotten where he is now, if he weren't. He is simply
soooooo much better than "The Worst President Ever" who preceded him.
So where has the "party in power" treated children "as commodities
(usually a raw material or primary agricultural product that can be
bought and sold) to be molded and controlled"?

I hope your not just a whining apologist for "The Worst President Ever",
who has decided to forget that the last eight years of deregulation,
borrow and spend, turning America into an immoral police state, and
welfare for the rich (hogs in a trough), that has gotten us into the
freakin' hole that we are in now.

My point was that injecting social engineering by targeting the most
vulnerable, ie our children, is a very dangerous thing to do, for so very
many reasons. That this isn't readily apparent to everyone is even more
disturbing, but that is a sign of the times we live in today.

Jon

Today's phrase
L'ETAT, C'EST MOE: All the worlds' a stooge
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is