Old 25-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default meconopsis cambrica

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote
after jeang wrote..
can anyone give me advice on how to grow this from seed? I tried just
direct seeding outside in May (in both semi-shade and semi-sun) when it
was part the frost date where I live and not even a peep of green leaf
anywhere. Thanks for any help Jean Delta BC - with a climate very
similar to the southern UK

Meconopsis cambrica germinates better from seed sown fresh. I've got a
patch of mixed Meconopsis cambrica, and at the moment something, which I
assume is Meconopsis cambrica, is coming up like cress.

Similar here, one grew from nowhere in my Mothers garden and I collected
some seed and sprinkled it in our front garden, that was decades ago, and we
still have them seed around every year. (also happens with Verbascum chauxii
album and Geranium palmatum but has never worked for us with Foxgloves)
Fresh seed and just sprinkled on the soil seems to be the way.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden