Old 25-03-2009, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default meconopsis cambrica

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:56:27 GMT, "jeang" wrote:

can anyone give me advice on how to grow this from seed? I tried just
direct seeding outside in May (in both semi-shade and semi-sun) when it was
part the frost date where I live and not even a peep of green leaf anywhere.
Thanks for any help Jean Delta BC - with a climate very similar to the
southern UK

I assume you know they need an acid soil, otherwise they are just a
dream. I cannot grow them but I have read that you should not let
them flower in the first year.

Pam in Bristol

Not letting them flower in the first year applies to the several if not
most of the Himalayan species of Meconopsis (which have a tendency to
monocarpy), not to the European Meconopsis cambrica.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley