Old 26-03-2009, 03:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default Copper rings for slug control

On 22 Mar, 20:18, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:24:31 -0000

"Angela" wrote:

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
| I've seen these advertised, so I'm experimenting with home-made rings
| made from copper round some of my herbaceous plants.
| Now the rain is forecast to return (North Cumbria), I'm expecting
| the damn things to be at my lupins any day.
| Does anyone have experience with them? *Any advice?
|
| R.

Might be worth you watching this before investing too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CuWtYK0xQ

Thanks, but I wasn't planning on 'investing' (bit of old copper pipe and
the use of a hammer so far). I'll let the experiment continue then, and
report back. Not quite so hopeful now though...

R.

I tried it once to no effect -- they still got past and munched my
runner beans right to the ground :-(

But on reflection, ISTM that to give them an electric shock, there
needs to be cell a formed from two dissimilar metals. It is possible
that some but not all soils provide the other "metal" and maybe
concrete, as shown in the film, doesn't. I wonder if it would be worth
trying concentric rings of copper and something else, e.g. a tin can?

Chris