Old 26-03-2009, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default Copper rings for slug control

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:25:42 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

On 22 Mar, 20:18, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:24:31 -0000

"Angela" wrote:

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
| I've seen these advertised, so I'm experimenting with home-made rings
| made from copper round some of my herbaceous plants.
| Now the rain is forecast to return (North Cumbria), I'm expecting
| the damn things to be at my lupins any day.
| Does anyone have experience with them? Â*Any advice?
|
| R.

Might be worth you watching this before investing too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CuWtYK0xQ

Thanks, but I wasn't planning on 'investing' (bit of old copper pipe and
the use of a hammer so far). I'll let the experiment continue then, and
report back. Not quite so hopeful now though...

R.

I tried it once to no effect -- they still got past and munched my
runner beans right to the ground :-(

But on reflection, ISTM that to give them an electric shock, there
needs to be cell a formed from two dissimilar metals. It is possible
that some but not all soils provide the other "metal" and maybe
concrete, as shown in the film, doesn't. I wonder if it would be worth
trying concentric rings of copper and something else, e.g. a tin can?

Chris

Interesting. The thought occurs to me that it might work in an acid
soil (like mine), but not in neutral or alkaline. An electrolyte
will certainly be necessary, water will probably do well, hence the
failure of tape on dry concrete.

Well, as I said, the experiment continues. No slugs so far, even under
a nearby slate laid for the purpose. They'll be here soon though...

R.