Old 26-03-2009, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default What not to plant

In message , Spider
writes

In message , David in Normandy
writes
Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!
What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?
Pam in Bristol

We bought a cute little grass plant, not sure of the name but the grass
is
blue rather than green. It has a height of around 18 inches and spreads
by
underground runner. It is extremely invasive. It spreads worse than
couch
grass (twitch grass).

"Lambs ears" impressed me too. I just bought one small plant a couple of
years ago and now have divided it into hundreds of plants and lined the
entire length of the drive (about 50 metres) with the splittings a
couple
of weeks ago. It should look quite spectacular when established, but I
have a feeling I may regret planting it in such large numbers.

I've got a Sidalcea (I think it's 'Sussex Beauty', but it was
mislabelled
on sale as 'Elsie Heugh' (one plant) and malviflora (another plant),
which
I privately call "Thug" because of its spreading habit. But it's not too
bad - you can dig it up and divide it.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Acanthus spinosus (Bear's Breeches) is one - the roots go down forever.
Phygelius capensis is another - runs all over the place, whilst refusing
flower well after the first year. I also planted one of the larger
ranunculus (I still think it's very pretty), but it's seeding everywhere.

Spider

I grew Phygelius capensis, but it died out. (I think that the winter wet,
and competition from Buddleias, disagreed with it.) Birmingham Botanic
Garden have a national collection of Phygelius, but their plants didn't
look invasive last time I visited.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Well, I wish I knew how Birmingham BG manage it. I quite like the flowers,
but not the invasion. Perhaps a large pot is the way to go.

Spider