Old 26-03-2009, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian[_4_] Adrian[_4_] is offline

Default greenhouse or polytunnel

HI Folks

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Those who have polytunnels have listed disadvantages as replacing the
polythene frequently (due to extremes of weather) and that the doors
are not stable. It will be interesting to hear what you have bought?

One of my friends has had a polytunnel for years - more than ten, I'd
guess, and he has no problems.

It seems that the key to long life on the polytunnel plastic is to make
sure that it's stretched tightly over the framework.

Our tunnel is in a fairly exposed location, and get some serious
sou'westerly gales. The plastic is held along the sides on a metal
channel system which clamps to the main hoops, and can be tensioned by
judicious walloping with a lump hammer to get the plastic tight...

Our supplier reckoned on 5 - 8 years life from the plastic (which
is available in various prices/grades.. - we're in our 3rd year....

We certainly couldn't have afforded a greenhouse 12' x 27ft! -
the polytunnel was more affordable...

Adrian - S/W Ireland