Old 27-03-2009, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardengal gardengal is offline

Default Weed/shrub removal-questions

On Mar 27, 6:37*am, enigma wrote:
Darren wrote .
com:

Anyway, my first question concerns a plant that has taken over
sections of my fence. It is some sort of weed/shrub that grows
very tall and curly with woody, tough stalks, with leaves and
small reddish buds. It is not altogether unsightly but it has
taken over my honeysuckle plants and grows over everything. It
is dense and thick.

*first thing to do is make sure it's not poison ivy...
lee

I agree - you need to identify the 'weed' in question before you know
the best way to remove it. Although your description is not exact, the
tall and 'woody, tough stalks" sounds suspiciously like Japanese
knotweed, which is a major invasive weed problem in many parts of the
country. Do some Googling to see if this is what you have. If so,
eradication is difficult and will take time and effort.

I may be old fashioned, but IMO manual removal of weeds is the most
efficient and thorough method of control outside of using some sort of
herbicide. And once the weed is correctly identified, I wouldn't
necessarily eliminate them totally from consideration - most are
relatively benign as far as the environment and persistence in the
garden is concerned but they are not always highly effective on all
weeds (like the knotweed, for example) and there are issues with
getting them on other plants and causing damage.