Old 27-03-2009, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What not to plant

Bobbie wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Which blind daffodils?

I don't even know what they are - never even heard of them that I
unforget. I'm sure I haven't got any...

Three years ago I mass planted daffodil bulbs on every available space.
I also planted clumps of snowdrops in the green. The first year they
flowered fit to bust. It was a sight to warm the cockles of Wordsworth's
heart. Same with the snowdrops. This year in an area we affectionately
call the *wild garden* the daffodils once again flowered and some are
still flowering very well but in other areas I have just clumps of green
leaves, no flowers. In that same area, the snowdrops have multiplied and
flower prolifically. Have I mistakenly called these flowerless plants,
blind?
Why does this happen, and is there something I can do to make them
flower as before?

Three years isn't that long for them to need to be split, perhaps.

They're called blind, that's right.

Sometimes it seems now that daff bulbs "flower out" the first year,
then take a while to recover. Give 'em some wood ash, and let the
leaves go as long as possible.

We've been buying loads every year to finance school trips, they seem
to be brilliant the first year, then sparse. But after a few years
they come back alright.

-E