Old 27-03-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DaveP DaveP is offline

Default Cybidium bulb

Bob Hobden wrote:

True, I was being a bit acidic, but it is not easy getting back pseudobulbs
to root/grow even for the experienced as your post shows. For the
inexperienced very difficult, and growing it on once you have some growth
isn't easy either.

I wouldn't consider this method particularly difficult, although you
do need patience and a basic understanding of how to encourage strong
root growth by cautious watering. My very first Cymbidium (Alexanderi
'Westonbirt') was given as a back bulb when I was about 11 years old.
Two growths arose from it and 5 years later it produced 4 spikes
carrying a total of 41 flowers - a sort of 'milestone' for me at the
time. It was divided regularly over the next 10 years and I had
plenty of stock to sell at the nursery. The OP has nothing to lose
and could end up with a satisfying plant - nothing ventured and all
that.