Old 27-03-2009, 11:50 PM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default Raising a bed

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:34:17 +1100, jones wrote:

My garden beds are ground level, and because of age and a bad back, I
would like to build/make higher ones.

How high?
How wide?

We built them three real railway sleepers side on high. Width was the
problem as it was difficult to reach the middle for digging, weeding, etc.

It has been suggested to me to make the back wall of the beds out from
the fences in case in the future, the palings needs to come out, then it
will make life easier to work on the fencing.

I intend to make the walls of these beds out of bricks. How far away
from the fences would you suggest to come out.

Big enough to scrap a hoe down there to clean out spilled soil, snails,
etc. wider if you need access or weeds worry you. Perhaps lawn mower
width?

Thanks for your help
Katherine