Old 28-03-2009, 01:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
brucef brucef is offline

Default Raising a bed

On Mar 28, 7:34*am, "jones" wrote:
It has been suggested to me to make the back wall of the beds out from the
fences in case in the future, the palings needs to come out, then it will
make life easier to work on the fencing.

If you can access the bed from both sides then you can effectively
make your bed twice the size for almost the same effort. I suggest
that a reach of 600mm is good and 900mm is probably the maximum. If
you can access the bed from both sides you can make it 1200 to 1800
deep without needing to lay many more bricks. Allow enough room to
move around between the fence and the bed and preferably get a
wheelbarrow through, probably about 800mm or so. Of course, you may
run out of room.

Those corrugated steel raised beds are very smart, and the price has
come down a bit. Probably cheaper than bricks if you are buying the
bricks or paying someone to lay them...