Old 28-03-2009, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bobo Bonobo® Bobo Bonobo® is offline

Default Soilless growing medium for vegetables

On Mar 27, 9:43*am, gar_newbie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First time gardener from Ohio need your help. *TIA.

I am planning for vegetable plants in a (container) wooden boxes of
size 4 foot x 4 foot x 8 inches (=~ 11 cubic foot). Four of these
boxes makes 45 cubic foot approximately.

I filled these four boxes with the soil less medium as following:
* * * * Coarse Vermiculite – 15 cubic foot
* * * * Sphagnum Peat Moss – 15 cubic foot
* * * * `Compost kind of` – 15 cubic foot (1 cubic foot each of
below)

[snip]

Gee. You must have a money tree.

My compost is leaf mulch, shredded paper from the office at work and
lawn clippings, with this stuff sprinkled into the mix.
That and some nice, wormfilled shovelfuls of garden soil. The
microorganisms and earthworms are busy right now, turning waste into
beautiful rich humus.

--Bryan