Old 28-03-2009, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Inverted tomatos

Not@home wrote:
A few years ago I only saw the inverted tomato planters on late night TV
ads (the kind where the pitch man screams at you) and figured they were
a gimmick. But now they are showing up in the more reputable catalogs I
get.

Do these work? I'm tempted because we live in a city with limited
garden space, and apparently these could be used on a porch or patio.

I have tried them but found them to be more of a gimmick than as great
as they are advertised to be.

If you are tempted to try them don't buy the overpriced ones you see
advertised. Use the suggestions that others have posted to make your
own. And, as others have said, use some mix that retains moisture well.
I found that smaller tomatoes (the "cherry" varieties) work better
than the larger ones.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL