Old 28-03-2009, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default greenhouse or polytunnel

My greenhouse needs replacing, the big ones are expensive so I am
considering a polytunnel instead. I have plenty of room so finding
somewhere
to put it will not be a problem.

I would welcome any comments that will help me make up my mind
greenhouse
or
polytunnel ?

kate

We have just ordered a new greenhouse Kate and on the advice of our
neighbours we have ordered a conventional one rather than a poly
tunnel. However ours will not have glass but polycarbonate as used by
most people here. I'm told glass might be a problem because of weight
of snow.

Those who have polytunnels have listed disadvantages as replacing the
polythene frequently (due to extremes of weather) and that the doors
are not stable. It will be interesting to hear what you have bought?

Judith

Do you know Judith I am more confused than ever, members of my family all
have different solutions , revamping present greenhouse/putting on an
extension/ having a new greenhouse or a combination of all the suggestions
such as revamping greenhouse and having a polytunnel, I really don't know
as
yet.
I am watching your greenhouse query with interest.
Thanks all for the interest and comments.

kate

It's certainly an adventure though isn't it? :-) I was also confused
but I listened to neighbours, looked at what they were using and then
came to my own conclusions although I was leaning, at one time, very
much on the poly tunnel idea. I think if we were more sheltered, I
would have gone with a poly tunnel, does this help Kate?

Judith

Yes I think it does Judith, I am leaning towards revamping my old greenhouse
and having a polytunnel, best of both worlds. I was just about to go outside
and look for the best site but we are in the middle of a sleet storm,
chucking it down here in Gloucestershire

kate