Old 28-03-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Riddles/sieves

Muddymike wrote:
I like that, but how do you empty the lumps.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The tray/riddle lifts out for emptying

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter011.jpg

Neat idea, you could make more trays with different size screens. Where did
you get the cam?

Mike

Apart from bearings and timing belt and pulleys, everything was home
made. I used a variable speed motor and a variable throw cam which
enabled me to adjust everything for optimum riddling. I had a lot of
ground to do and was getting a wheelbarrow of stones out of 2sq metres
of soil dug to 2 spade depths.
The greatest effect was when the tray was allowed to bump into an
endstop at relatively low speed. Also quite important for the soil not
to be too damp.

HTH

Bob