Old 29-03-2009, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default What a day!

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Because we 'lost' an hour this morning, I woke at 5am, of course!

Never mind, they've tacked it on to the evening.

Slowly
the day dawned crisp and cold but with an achingly brilliant blue sky. Now,
at just after 10am, the sky is gleaming overhead and a heat haze is rising
from the vents in the roof of the biggest greenhouse. Let's hope it lasts!

We were supposed to have had a hard frost last night. No sign of any,
first thing. A lot of moving things inside, lighting of hurricane lamp
all for nothing - probably.

We've planted up a lot of the pots dotted around the garden and where some
Euryops died in the frosts, we've planted lilies, underplanted with a dear
little mat-forming Veronica - might be V. liwanensis but I'll have to check
that. It's a charming little plant. Elsewhere, the shuttlecock ferns are
slowly unfolding, the tree ferns seem to be okay and are forming their
croziers in secret and Camellias and Magnolias are bursting with life. Our
'wedding cake tree' which had closed buds furled up tightly just waiting for
some warmth, has sprung into full glory and almost without my noticing, a
living willow fence is almost in full leaf. And the snowdrops have
disappeared for another year. Everything seems to be moving so fast now!

Including that &*#!$$% idiot in a very noisy car which regularly passes
so fast (in a 30 mph limit) that by the time I've got to the gate from
the front door, it's gone - and to do that, it has to do around 400
yards and negotiate a crossroads.

I only have to open the door and take ten paces up the path...

--
Rusty