Old 29-03-2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] bungadora@aol.com is offline

Default Stakes for Gladiolas

On Mar 26, 2:10 pm, "Denis Mitchel" wrote:

I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Thanks

I plant my glads in clumps and then put a tomato cage over them - the
cages are generally useless for tomatoes anyway and a lot less work
than tying all those glads to stakes.

Nowhere does it say that one must use one separate bamboo stake for each
separate bloom... a couple three stakes with some sort of green ribbon can
support many blooms, and will be essentially invisible... much more
aesthetically pleasing in a flower garden than grotesquely hidious torturous
looking tomato cages.. why would anyone equate beautification with an iron
maiden..

So I have kinky flowers? OK. I can live with that.

I also grow plants around the outside. You can hardly see the cages,
which are on the small side.
Dora