Old 29-03-2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Frost II

On 3/29/2009 10:23 AM, Denis Mitchel wrote:
It seems like my last question caused some misunderstandings.

I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas and for the last two nights the
local weather people have been calling for a low of 38 degrees and advising
that plants should be taken indoors to protect them from frost.

That was the reason for my first question. I just could not understand their
reasoning for such advice.

Now for another question. In the last two weeks I have planted a number of
bare-root roses. So far there has not been any frost in my area and my roses
are doing great.

However, in the event there is a frost sometime in the near future, I would
like to know how long a rose brush can withstand frost on it before severe
damage is done to it.

Thanks,

Denis

Roses are hardy and can withstand not only frost but a light freeze. At
this time of year, however, roses have new growth that is more tender
than older growth. You might see some frost burn on new shoots, but the
damage will not be permanent. Later new shoots will compensate for any
current new shoots that get frost burn.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean