Old 29-03-2009, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sharp sand ?

Ted wrote:
When the book calls for Horticultural grit or sharp sand. Will building
grit and sharp sand do instead ..I know it seen
ms to be frowned on but ordinary sharp sand is used on football
pitches...Wondered if the horticultural label was just to relieve us of
more money ?

I was always told not to use builders sand as it can contain lime and
kill some plants. I've not been able to find any sharp horticultural
sand here in France so I use builders (yellow) sand - but it has been
standing outside in the rain for a long while, so any lime should have
leached out. Not had any problems with it.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.