Old 29-03-2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default greenhouse position

traceyr wrote:
I'm looking at buying a lean-to greenhouse to grow things such as
lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions etc but I'm unsure of the best
position.

I have 2 locations in my garden in mind; one being by my shed at the
top of the garden which gets the most sun during the day (probably at
it's peak position at around 2-3pm; south-south west) and the second
position against a North-north West facing wall and only really gets
direct sun from around noon onwards, but is more in the shade as it is
closer to the house.

My partner would prefer the second option as it's closer to the house
to get the produce in when needed, but I'm guessing the first option
is going to be the favoured position, am I right?

As I'm only looking at a 6' long lean-to I wasn't sure how other
factors such as heat/shade etc would play?

It would help if you said where you are or at least what your climate and
hemisphere are. Also the seasons that you intend to grow your salad veges
and what the outside temperature would be then would help.

David