Old 29-03-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default What a day!

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Mar 29, 6:14 pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

Because we 'lost' an hour this morning, I woke at 5am, of course! Slowly
the day dawned crisp and cold but with an achingly brilliant blue sky.
Now,
at just after 10am, the sky is gleaming overhead and a heat haze is
rising
from the vents in the roof of the biggest greenhouse. Let's hope it
lasts!
We've planted up a lot of the pots dotted around the garden and where
some
Euryops died in the frosts, we've planted lilies, underplanted with a
dear
little mat-forming Veronica - might be V. liwanensis but I'll have to
check
that. It's a charming little plant. Elsewhere, the shuttlecock ferns are
slowly unfolding, the tree ferns seem to be okay and are forming their
croziers in secret and Camellias and Magnolias are bursting with life.
Our
'wedding cake tree' which had closed buds furled up tightly just waiting
for
some warmth, has sprung into full glory and almost without my noticing,
living willow fence is almost in full leaf. And the snowdrops have
disappeared for another year. Everything seems to be moving so fast now!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Evening Sacha,
Sounds like you started the day well! I've spent the day in the garden,
trying to catch up with some of the jobs. Despite the threat of rain,
we've
had a lovely day here, if a bit chilly. I've moved a goodly clump of
Fritillaria meleagris, plus some muscari (don't know which one), because
we've got landscapers starting work soon on a small patio. My F. meleagris
are sacred, so I didn't want the builders trampling on them.

I've also done a fair bit of pruning and weeding, and finished off by
edging
the smaller of my lawns, then filling all the watering cans from the water
butt so any fresh rain can refill the butt. I don't seem to have made much
of an impression, but I'm totally cream-crackered now and more than ready
for my dinner.

I was curious about the Veronica you mentioned, and would certainly be
interested if you knew the name of it. I have a few prostrate Veronicas
tumbling over the wall of a raised border, but there is always room for
more. I love them. Perhaps if you do discover its name, you'll post it
here, pretty please?

Well, I'm off to scoff a huge casserole. I'll check in later.

Spider

What was the casserole Spider? Loved the insight into your garden.

Judith

I ought to say fly flavour, didn't I?!! However, it was pork and bacon with
stacks of veg; not a true casserole, I suppose, as they're really meant to
have lots of pulses. Did I gather from your shuddering at chicken that
you're a vegetarian?

Spider