Old 30-03-2009, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] jerry_friedman@yahoo.com is offline

Default upside-down seedling

On Mar 28, 1:47*pm, wrote:
On Mar 27, 12:33*pm, wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why would a seedling grow upside-down, with an
abortive root sticking up into the air? *Did I do something wrong,
such as plant it too shallow, or is it just a "bad seed"?

I turned it right-side-up, as it was the only one that sprouted in
that pot. *If it grows, should I make sure not to plant any seeds I
get from it, since they might inherit its poor sense of direction?

If it matters, the plant is Calliandra eriophylla, pink fairy duster.

--
Jerry Friedman

the word to look up is "geotaxis"

Thank you. It led me to "gravitropism", which seems to be much more
commonly used for plants. ("Geotaxis" is mostly used for motile micro-
organisms, though I did find a few Web sites that used it for
plants.) That in turn led me to terms such as "micropyle", and I'll
plant seeds like this more carefully from now on.

--
Jerry Friedman