Old 30-03-2009, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Garlic

Tim wrote:

Question though, if I planted in early spring,
and harvest sometime in late summer, wouldn't the
heat and sun have a negative effect on the garlic
in flavor or size, or should they be planted in partial
shade?

Garlic is the worst of both worlds: a heavy feeder and a poor collector
of solar energy. So, it needs as much sun as possible.... I can't say what
the effect of containers would be, as I've never grown it that way.
Remember that garlic grows in two phases: Foliage until roughly the
equinox, then bulbs thereafter. Harvest when about half (not all!) of the
tops have turned brown...,. this is to ensure you have good wrappers around
the bulbs, which are actually the bottom of the leaves.