Old 30-03-2009, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Ping Bill - homemade fruit brandy questions

In article ,
Tim wrote:

Ok, here is the recipe as given to me :

3 gallons water
3 lemons, sliced
1 large cake of yeast
10 lbs sugar
2 quarts fruit of choice, pitted, sliced
4 box's white raisins

Boil water for 5 minutes, let cool completely.
Add all ingredients, except raisins.
Stir once a day, for seven days.
Add raisins.
Let set for 21 days, strain, bottle.

Now, I have seen other recipes similar to this on the net,
some have said to cover (airtight) after adding the raisins,
some not....I know enough that I should cover with something
to keep the fruit-flies out, but will the fermenting be done
after only seven days?
Thanks to all for any hints, tips, or experiences......

Tim

I think you may have meant Ping Billy.

I used to have the wine ferment in a closed container that had a
bubble attachment to let gas escape and bugs out. These I asked a
glass blower friend design. The cheese cloth reminds me of open pickle
crock .

I failed in my wine making I think in large part to using plastic
instead of glass vessels. At one time the plastic water bottles that
people who purchase bottled water were made of glass. The pickles worked
and once running all sorts of veges went in.

I'm thinking about getting a crock cooking again this year. My problem
is I have lost contact with a sunny garden and with a width of 125 feet
with large trees it looks like plenty of light now but once the oaks
leaf out trouble in river city.

Bill Things do change. Garden hard.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
known prison population.