Old 31-03-2009, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Musio Musio is offline

Default H.R. 875 Food Safety Act

Lilah Morgan wrote:
I emailed 3 of my senators/congressman(and the White House) 'bout it, but I
don't know if it will do any good. There was a town hall meeting last
weekend in town, with 3 of our state reps, and in response to a question,
they actually admitted that they don't read the bills they vote on. They
didn't even say their assistants/interns do for them. Their excuse is that
there's too many of them and it would take too long. Well what the hell are
we paying them for?! I even usually read the User Terms and Agreement things
when I sign up anywhere online, MySpace, Yahoo, Facebook, wherever. And I
have a busy schedule too...I have to do just about all the 'grunt' work on
our farm and work on the website and make flyers and do all the business
paperwork and crap, yet I make sure to find the time I don't agree to
anything I don't understand. Here's what I emailed(feel free to adapt it to
your circumstances to contact your state reps):

I am a small (organic) farmer and am very concerned about the repercussions
if H.R. 875 were to pass. We are lucky to make enough money to get by, but
having to pay licensing/inspection fees plus additional taxes would be
beyond our means. The wording 'food production facility' needs to be less
vague. By that wording, if you have a potted herb in your kitchen
windowsill, you could be considered a food production facility. If the
government wants safe food, they should A: pay for the farms to be inspected
themselves, and B: focus on the fact that the recent contaminated food
outbreaks were more often than not the fault of big companies who could have
afforded to enact safety measures. I would also like to point out that the
recent peanut butter contamination took place in the processing plant, not
where the nuts were grown. We grow enough produce not only to sell, but to
eat as well, so we make sure it's safe.

Victoria, zone 5a

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...=t0%3Aih%3A710

SEC. 405. CIVIL AND CRIMINAL PENALTIES.

(a) Civil Sanctions-

(1) CIVIL PENALTY-

(A) IN GENERAL- Any person that commits an act that violates the food safety law (including a regulation promulgated or
order issued under the food safety law) may be assessed a civil penalty by the Administrator of not more than $1,000,000
for each such act.

(B) SEPARATE OFFENSE- Each act described in subparagraph (A) and each day during which that act continues shall be
considered a separate offense.

so, by not putting chemicals into your garden, it will be possible to be fined $1,000,000. if you grow an edible plant
on your property the argument could easily be made that you are technically under this jurisdiction. THis is what the
bill states and you can bet $1,000,001 that Monsato (or whoever else Rosa Delauris is bending over for) will pay for the
legal cases against any little person who challenges this.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...=t0%3Aih%3A836

SEC. 506. REGULATIONS.

The Administrator may promulgate such regulations as the Administrator determines are necessary or appropriate to
perform the duties of the Administrator.

"We'll take any measure what so ever to ensure that you are putting chemicals into your garden."

what in this bill ISN'T good for Monsanto? The fact that the company with which Stanley Greenburg is paid from Monsanto
to represent, will also be paid to sway the opinion of the advisory committee. So if the congress woman's husband is
taking kickbacks from Monsato (but not "working" for them) - you can bet that she too is receiving generous benefits
too, and America will become a dictatorship giving one guy (or the way the money flows) control over what any American
is allowed to grow and eat.