Old 31-03-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Wildflower ID?

On 31/3/09 10:10, in article
, "Des
Higgins" wrote:

On Mar 30, 7:09*pm, DaveP wrote:
Greater Stitchwort aka Stellaria holostea and a common hedgerow 'weed'
that is a very superior cousin of the common chickweed or marginally
lesser cousin of the garden pink - make your choice. *I like to see it
and it makes a nice, lowly boscage of pleasantly leafy stems topped
with rather showy white flowers at this time of year. *It is very
obvious for a couple of weeks and then disappears into the the
undergrowth until the following spring.

Agreed; if you pull a leaf away from the stem, it comes away with a
short "thread" of stem fibre; hence the name. Nice spring hedgerow
plant.

I never knew that was the reason for the name - thank you! We get a lot in
the hedgerows here but I admit that without leaf and scale, I couldn't
recognise it. But it's not in flower now, surely? (Going out to have a
scout round!)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com